Le Castellet, France. Heavy rain storms appeared at the Paul Ricard Circuit at Le Castellet, South-France, last night so there was nothing to gain for the Penz13.com BMW Motorrad Team in today’s second Qualifying session. The team decided collectively to stay in the pits as forecasts for the race are promising best conditions and a time improval was not possible for today. None of the other teams was able to improve as well.
That's why the times set by Kenny Foray (FRA), Lukas Pesek (CZE) and Matthieu Lussiana (FRA) remained unchanged and the race will be started from P8 tomorrow, Saturday, 17th September at 15:00 o’clock with the finish 24 hours later.
Pesek, after his yesterday’s qualifying spill, went to see the doctor again this morning and it was confirmed that nothing is broken in his foot. The Czech rider will try to ride the Warmup tomorrow and make full profit from today’s rest day.
In case Pesek should find it impossible to ride with his pain for 24 hours, Spanish rider Pedro Vallcaneras would be on site to jump in for the team’s assault for the Bol d’Or.
The 80th Bol d’Or is the opening round of the new format 2016/2017 FIM Endurance World Championship season.
"It’s a shame we have lost our qualifying session due to rain today, but there was absolutely no argument to head out on track as in those conditions a improvement of the setting of our BMW S 1000 RR was not possible. But I am confident after the days and track time we had here this past week. Everything is set for the race and we all will give our maximum.”
"The good news today is, that there is nothing broken, even though it is very painful for me and I can’t load the foot completely. From that point of view it is good from my side, that we didn’t have to ride today. I am relaxing now fully and then I’ll try to ride in Warmup tomorrow and consider after if it’s possible to ride – especially over the full 24 hours distance."
"A shame! I really wanted to up the pace in today’s Q2, but it is as it is. There is not much to say about today, though. Yesterday’s night practice went well, I was able to concentrate myself on my riding and changing my style to fit to our team’s strategy. I am so looking forward to the Bol tomorrow!"
"Unfortunately we had a lot of rain last night and also considering the crash of Lukas in his Qualifying session yesterday we as a team took the decision to not head out in those tricky conditions today and to avoid any further risks. I think we are well prepared for the race anyways, so we all get another good sleep tonight and then we go to attack tomorrow.“